Timken manufactures a full gamut of bearing products, including Timken pillow block bearings. Pillow block bearings, otherwise referred to as plummer block bearings, are a mounted bearing type that is used to provide load support for a rotating shaft. Their mounting surface is on a plane parallel and offset to the axis of the shaft, and mounting holes or slots in the base or feet of pillow block bearings permit adjustment and easy mounting.
Types of Pillow Block Bearings
Pillow block bearings consist of a bearing inside a housing. Many pillow blocks have a replaceable bearing, which is also referred to as an “insert bearing.” Bearings used with pillow block housings are usually self-aligning to compensate for angular misalignments. Also, pillow blocks are available with many different bearing types, including:
- Plain Bearings
- Ball Bearings Roller Bearings
- Tapered-Roller Bearings
- Spherical-Roller Bearings
- Cylindrical-Roller Bearings
- Needle-Roller Bearings
- Hydrodynamic Bearings
Materials for Timken Pillow Block Bearings
As stated above, pillow block bearings feature housing components which can be made from a variety of materials, each well suited for specific applications. These different materials feature different properties which render them suitable for a variety of uses. Housing materials include:
- Aluminum– high load-carrying capacity, fatigue strength, and thermal conductivity
- Cast Iron– the most common material for pillow block bearing housings
- Pressed Steel– a less expensive material used in lower load-carrying applications
- Plastic– common plastics used for housings include Acetal, Nylon, Polyamide, and Teflon
- Stainless Steel– chemical and corrosion resistant, with relatively high pressure ratings And more
SAF Pillow Blocks from Timken
Timken manufactures SAF pillow blocks which combine high capacity spherical roller bearings with rugged cast-iron or steel housings to perform incredibly even in the toughest conditions around. A smart split-housing design makes for simple assembly and service, and each pillow block contains an impeccably-designed spherical roller bearing built for maximum load capacity and prolonged service life. They are used in a wide range of industries and applications such as conveyors, mining, pulp and paper mills, rolling mills, and more.
SAF Timken Pillow Block Bearings boast:
- Split construction for ease of assembly and maintenance
- A Pry-Lug fulcrum to simplify bearing inspection, as well as service/replacement
- Enhanced lubrication characteristics from integrated housing and bearing design
- Several sealing options to protect against contamination
Timken's full catalog of SAF split block housed units can be viewed here.
Find the Timken pillow block bearings you need and much more through ProSource Industrial today!